Ginger is actually a plant rhizome with roots whose scientific name is Zingiber officinale and belongs to the botanical family Zingiberaceae. It is widely used as a spice for adding flavor to various salty and sweet dishes all over the world. However, few people are aware of the numerous health benefits that can be obtained from this amazing underground plant. Now the medical science has established several advantages that people can gain from their regular cuisines that are cooked with ginger.
Few noteworthy benefits that can be obtained from ginger
- Ginger is highly capable of boosting the immunity power of the human body, which helps in fighting all sorts of infections and thus, prevents most of the germ-borne diseases. The antioxidants present in the ginger are useful in curing the infectious ailments, like cough and cold, faster than any other medicine.
- Ginger contains natural anti-inflammatory properties that can cure the pains, stiffness, and inflammations caused due to osteoarthritis in the body joints. Actually, ginger prevents the release of cytokines and some other chemicals from the body cells that are mainly responsible for creating these inflammations in the bones and muscles. Thus, the soreness of the muscles can also be decreased to a great extent that occurs due to excessive workout training.
- The feeling of nausea and vomiting can be cured instantly by the consumption of a small amount of raw ginger. This spice has the ability to prevent the irritations or inflammations of the vagus nerve of the brain, which is normally responsible for the digestion of foods. Hence, the ginger is given for some relief to the morning sickness of the pregnant women in their early stage of pregnancy. Nausea that is caused as a side-effect of chemotherapy can also be cured by the intake of ginger.
- Ginger can stimulate the stomach cells to digest the foods and pass it fast to the intestines. Hence, the ginger is considered as a useful medicine for curing the uneasiness of overeating or chronic indigestion. The doctors now recommend consuming some ginger to cure the stomach upset that is medically termed as dyspepsia and in relieving the acidity and inflammation of stomach ulcer. It is now scientifically proved that the ginger can prevent the toxicity caused in the liver due to side-effects of some strong medications.
- The regular intake of ginger can protect the heart from all damages that can be caused due to high blood sugar and cholesterol levels in the body. It is established now that the ginger has the capability of controlling even Type 2 diabetes, for which these people’s hearts are protected from sugar-related ailments. The amount of LDL or the bad cholesterol can be reduced within the body by eating some dry ginger powder daily, thus saving the body from the possibilities of a heart attack.
- The daily consumption of ginger is also found to be beneficial for the prevention of cancer in the breasts, pancreas, and the ovaries. The inflammation of the colon cancer also can be reduced to some extent in the early stages, though there is no proof yet of curing it by eating ginger. According to the laboratory tests, it is found that the ginger can kill the cancer cells by activating the p53 gene that can suppress the cancerous growth. Moreover, the ginger can make the cancerous cells more sensitive to the radiotherapy, due to which the cells can be cured faster by the radiation.
Common ways of eating ginger for obtaining medical benefits
Normally, the intake of fresh ginger works best in getting all the required medical benefits. The ginger is usually cut into small pieces and boiled with tea leaves to make the ginger tea that is highly preferred by all people. The grated ginger can be added to any kind of soup that enhance the taste and makes it healthier in winter. The bits of ginger can be fried and added to most of the vegetarian dishes for enriching the flavor of all these cuisines. Even the ginger juice can be safely added as a major spice in preparing delicious baked or grilled fish. Some sweet dishes also taste better with the addition of ginger during the preparation.
However, the patients can eat small pieces of raw ginger for a faster cure of their physical ailments that are bothering them.